Sunday, August 29, 2010

Looks good in leather

First snapshot of the hand stitched leather seat. Picked up the leather from a shop in Lutwyche.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

HELMUT 1

Finished this one up over the weekend.
Using AutoAir and 3M Acrylic clear over the top.

Stripping

So last night we stripped the paint off the tank using some 3M paint stripper.  This was the hardest working stripper I've seen since my 21st birthday FAT A GRAM party.


It took off the black top coat and left the blue OEM paint underneath.  There were quite a few nice dings from where it had been dropped.  1 nice one on the seam and one either side and another on the top near the fuel cap.

Base OEM Blue
Good thing about this stripper is that it didn't give me an STD and it didn't pretend to be interested in what I had to say.  See you again sometime.

Next up BOG

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Glassing

After spending some time thinking about the seat design and construction we decided that it'd be cool if we could utilise the existing seat pan.  For one it would be the perfect shape and secondly we could utilise the current fittings so if we needed to get to the under seat area we could flip it up.

Once that was decided it was time to make a fibreglass mould of the seat pan.  We glassed the base seat pan where it met with the tank so we could keep the snug fit, but for the tail we would shape this ourselves and then glass over that.

We put 3 layers of glass down and it turned out super strong.  Definitely strong enough for a big boned person to use.

Once that was dried we shaped up the tail section ready for fibreglass.  It took a while to get the lines proportions correct, since we were keeping the bracket underneath the seat.  This space will allow us to store the battery and a few other electrical items



Still high from the fibreglass... peace out

Sunday, August 8, 2010

GreazeFest




Greazefest 2010 was on this weekend so took some time to head to Rocklea to get my fix of Kustom Kulture. Quiffs were abundant along with tattoos, pinstripes and rock n roll dancing. I really felt out of place without my hair slicked back and patches on my jacket but nonetheless it was good fun.

I was keen to check out the bikes on show and some of the paint jobs. Took some snaps in between lining up for a line up to get beer.
















Nekid

Well we spent most of the day stripping down the bike. Removing engine, wiring, wheels, swingarm and wasp nests.
spiders, ants, and small furry animals.












Next time on Project Switch will be prepping the tank and looking at shaping a tail section

Thursday, August 5, 2010

PROJECT SWitCh

Well this is our first project and we thought what better way to document the build than through a blog. The donor for project switch is a beast of a thing, a knarly little 81 Yamaha XS250. We found this in a shed in a little town called Ipswich commonly referred to by locals as "THE SWEEEAAACCCHHHH" plus or minus a twang and a twitch.


It was a non-runner not having been started in about 6 years, had only 30k on the clock and a few dings to the tank, exhausts, fender. Carb inlets were shot, gas cap wouldn't open with the key, but the engine was still in pretty good condition.

We kicked it a few times and managed to turn it over although it didn't seem to hold charge.

Now we have a starting point next up is the tear down.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...