Great to see it all come together.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Friday, February 17, 2012
Busy day today among other things, we managed to work out the headlight situation and fab and weld up a mont for it. Picked up this headlight in Japan that we wanted to use, just loved the blue lens. The original idea was to run a bikini fairing so we'll have a go at glassing a fairing around it. But if it doesn't work out then we'll just keep the light as is.
Also welded on some mounts for the battery box.
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Got back to work on The Experiment and to tick off a few items in the list.
- We started up The Experiment to make sure everything was running as it should. Check.
- Remove engine and wiring. Check
One thing we did notice was that the SRX is living up to it's project name The Experiment. There are a few quirky decisions that the designers have made with this bike and we believe this model could have been an experiment itself as part of Yamahas R and D division.
- The Carbs are impossible to remove without removing the tank and the entire air filter box. Although this will be solved with the smaller Air Filters.
- There was a strange cover for the cylinder head that had absolutely no purpose.
- Many of the bolt sizing were consistently inconsistant.
- The sprocket cover is PLASTIC. Seems as though they may have ran out of R and D funds.
However she is now bare boned ready for sandblasting and powder coating.
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
We've been brainstorming a few things before we jump into the teardown, among them were
- Wait for the new Carb Boots and Air filters to come in so we could start it up to make sure everything is running as it should
- Work out whether we needed to purchase new clip-ons or use the existing hi-rise ones lower on the forks under the tripple.
- Work out where we were going to install the battery. Because it was electric start only we decided to keep the standard battery.
- Shape a tail section in situ so we could see it with everything in place.
So far we have done all but get it started as I've had the carbs off giving them an overhaul. Will hopefully get to it this week.
We've almost finished the tail section, we're definitely feeling more comfortable with the process as it's our third seat we've made from scratch. It's probably taken half the amount of time as the first. The key is to get the shape as perfect as you can before you glass. The less amount of body filler you use the lighter it is.
We've welded up a batter box from some spare sheets of steel. It's should be cool sitting filling up some space in the triangle.
The clipons work great, so that'll keep the build budget down marginally as a descent set of clipons are quite expensive.
Next up is to make a dash panel. We'll be running mini switches on the bars and a single speedo so we'll need to create a dashboard to accomodate warning lights / ignition and a switch for the lights.
Still a learning process but so far so good, and all good fun.
|Cutting the mat to shape helps with the application|
|Glass set and ready to fill|
|Hi-Rise clipons mounted under the top tripple. Lines up perfect. |
Just needs a dash panel now, single speedo is so lonely.