Friday, August 26, 2016

Project Tonka - Yamaha TW200

After a few months sourcing a new project I managed to pick up this 1990 TW200 in relatively good condition... by that I mean it ran.

TW200's a fairly slim pickings now a days since they stopped importing them into Australia a while back, along with being a popular base for custom builds.  The history of this bike as with most AG bikes was that it had sat on a farm until recently.

Unused and hanging with the tractors and other machinery for a number of years.  It was then picked up by "another guy" who had the intention of customising it but never got the chance.

The classic Tonka Truck with it's FAT wheels
The Dubs are recognised by their enormous fat rear tyre, and after hearing of it's history I couldn't help but to associate it with my childhood of playing Tonka Trucks in the sandpit.  For those that don't know anything about Tonka Trucks they were the toys to have in the sandpit.  Die Cast metal trucks that were able to move pales of sand from one side of the playground to the other.

Those were the days, digging around in the sandpit looking for your matchbox car that you'd buried last week, only to discover a nugget that your neighbor's cat had kindly left for you hours earlier. Anyway it seemed like a logical decision to name this build Tonka.
There are a couple of issues that I'll need to sort out.  The clutch drags quite a lot, also sounds like the valves need some adjusting but there are no significant knocks. The electric starter may need replacing at some stage but it's no biggie at the moment since it also runs a kicker.

The electrics have also been hacked into with a few things not running.  I'd love to use one of motogadgets m-units for this build but I don't think the budget will stretch this far.

Other than the obvious cosmetic damage it'll be a neat little build and my first commissioned build. Looking forward to getting stuck into it and learning and trying a few new things with this one.

The spaghetti harness that's already been hacked.  Neutral doesn't actually work

"Breather hole" in the crankcase cover

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Screen Printing the LSG Logo Tee

I still get stoked when I get an order for one of our Tees come through.  It's so cool to be able to hand print these tees for someone that's gone out of their way to purchase one.

Thanks a bunch for the support everyone.


Saturday, August 6, 2016

How to build a motorcycle workbench

There comes a time in every garage dweller's life that they need to at least build themselves a workbench.  After having completed a couple of other woodworking projects I thought it was a good time to use some of the remaining scraps and get the bike off the ground onto a more suitable working height.

The build was super basic and took about half a day.  The cost of materials was around $80 although I did have a majority of the hardware and some lumber.

I spent a large amount of time working out the ideal height for the bench as I wanted something that I could comfortably work on the engine as well do any necessary wiring around the dash etc.  I'm about 6ft so for I figured 500mm was a good height.  I also wanted something that I could easily move around hence the addition of the castor wheels.

As for the width I also wanted to be able to have the side stand down just for ease of rolling the bike up and down off the table.  The length I kept at the default length of the timber it was also enough to cater for a rear wheel stand if I needed to.

3 x 140x34 x 2400 Pine
3 x 70x35 x 2400 Structural Pine
1 x 2400 x 1200 x 15mm Structural Ply
4 x 100kg lockable castors
1 x box of 100mm 8g screws
1 x box of 30mm 8g screws.
2 x Pergola U Bolts

I first drew this up in Sketchup and as you can see it's basically a glue and screw operation. Although for the bottom shelf I checked in 15mm each side to cater for the narrow shelf.  I did this with a router and then cleaned it up with a chisel.

Wheel chock - After looking for one on ebay and the like I decided that I would make my own just from some RHS Steel and flat bar welded together.  After that was done I simply bolted that into the ply.  The thickness of the steel is 3mm and is overkill for this but it was the only type I could get.  

Looking forward to giving this some use over the next few months.  I'll make the sketchup available shortly in case anyone wants to download it.

Mockup in Sketchup

Enough space for the side stand

Enough length for a rear wheel stand

Ubolt and Front wheel chock allow for the tiedown

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...