Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Project Tonka - Rear Fender Mount

Things have been progressing pretty well.  With the fibreglassing of the fender complete I finished up with the rear fender mount over the last weekend.  I wanted to make this a single sided affair as on the right side of the bike I wanted the exhaust to be the hero and I felt having a support bracket to the rear fender would have spoilt that.

I made this out of 12mm round bar with 18mm slugs to connect them. This took a little time to get it right with a proper roller but I managed to bend the bar well enough using just a simple jig and a blowtorch.

I then created some bungs to mount the fender.  I had tapped 3 of them but snapped the tap inside one of them and took me the rest of the day to remove it.

I then reinforced the two supports with some steel sheet to stop lateral movement while riding.

Hoping to get the seat glassed this week so I can finally disassemble everything.










Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Build Diary Video Part II - TW200 Skid Plate

Finished off the custom skid / bash plate for the TW today.

Originally I wanted to give aluminium brazing a go for the first time but the stock that I'd bought ended up being too thick.  Because of this slight oversight, bending it would have given me a hernia.  So I spent a while thinking about the alternatives and I came to the conclusion to make one up with some left over steel sheet.

I first mocked it up with some cardboard and then used it as a template although not 100% accurate it did give me a good base to start.

Once I'd cut and bent it to the correct shape I tacked everything into place, once I was happy with the fit I welded it all up.  I then added some holes to reduce weight using a stepped drill bit.

The edges still need a clean up but will do all that before sending off to sandblasting.



Thursday, October 13, 2016

Build Diary Video Part I - How I made the TW200 Custom Fender

I had the original intention of documenting this build on video but as it turns out doing this requires charged batteries and new memory cards.  Two things that I didn't have at the time I started working on the bike.

I did however manage to setup the gopro for the fibreglass process.  Cut down a days job into under a minute.  Excuse the quality of video I'm still working on my editing skills.

I'll try and document most of the process from now on.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Project Tonka - Rear Fender Construction

Have made some good progress on the TW200 over the last couple of weeks.  Originally I was going to use a steel black fender and cut and shape to suit.  However I wasn't happy with the outer radius as most of these off the shelf fenders that would fit the 7" wheel were flat.

Scrap Ply to use for the plug

I decided to shape my own creating a plug out of plywood to replicate the radius of the wheel.  Once that was done I filled the spaces with expanding foam.  I probably should have used the two part expanding foam as the builders foam left too many air pockets after being shaped.


Nailed into place

Expanding foam to fill the voids

Should have used 2 part expanding foam as there were so many air pockets

Then I glassed a female mould with 2 layers of woven cloth and a layer of chop strand.  Because the foam wasn't perfect I had to spend a bit of time sanding and filling the holes left by the foam.

Next I created the final male mould, this time I used a Vinylester Resin for increased flexibility and strength compared to the Polyester.


Vinylester Resin with woven mat
Final result after sanding.  Ready for primer and paint


It came up really well after a trim and a light sand and fits perfectly to the rear tyre and is also super lightweight.  Now to fabricate the mounting hardware.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...